Saturday, May 31, 2008

Friday5 Garage Sales

1) Are you a garage saler?
Yes, but its a spring/summer thing...not serious.
I usually have one each spring but not this year.
This year I am looking for baby stuff.

2) If so, are you an immediate buyer or a risk taker who comes back later when prices are lower?
I only buy what I'm looking for and usually pay the asking price,
unless I don't have the right change.

3) Seriously, if you're not a garage saler, you are probably not going to want to play this one.
(That wasn't really #3.)
3) This is the real #3: What's the best treasure you've found at a yard or garage sale?
A free toddler bed
that my son slept in for about a year
and currently is the sleeping space for sleepover guests and stuffed animal friends.

4)If you've done one yourself, at church or at home, was it worth the effort?
Yes. Always worthwhile to at the very least take inventory of the things you don't need
and get rid of them.
If the money is enough to take the family out for pizza afterwards...its time well spent.

5) Can you bring yourself to haggle?
Ooh, only if I don't have the right change. Otherwise, asking price.
Folks who charge weird prices shouldn't have garage sales.

BONUS: For the true aficionado: Please discuss the impact of Ebay, Craig's List, Freecycle, etc... on the church or home yard/garage sale.
I love Craigslist because its specific and convenient...for the most part.
Its better if you live in or near a city...not out here in the boonies.
Ebay is OK but I'm not really a huge fan.
Would love to get up the courage to sell some things on there myself.
A friend got a backyard play structure thing on Freecycle.
Just disassemble and move it yourself! So in general I'm in favor.

The big impact on Garage Sales hads been Antique Roadshow
and those types of shows. Now everyone charges more for their junk.
You often can do better at Church rummage sales because they are often priced by someone impartial. But all in all, I'm looking for what I'm looking for and will buy it for a reasonable price.

Latest Yard Sale Purchase: $3 fishing rod (hook, weights and the like not included).
Flash is enjoying pretending with it.

No comments: