Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Parable of the Bookcase

My Bible Study is studying the Parables this year and its been wonderful.
This week's lesson was conducted by a really wonderful pastor-to-be woman.
She adapted a youth lesson for us and had us list 5-7 things that had happened to us this week.
And then write a parable about it.
This is mine.

As they walked Jesus said
"A man had many books and kept them
in a bookcase made of plyboard. When the books became too numerous
he resisted finding other places for them.
The bookcase, overburdened, collapsed.
You are like the bookcase, overburdened.
Find a way to distribute the weight of your obligations and also
...give away some books."
The disciples listened and were confused.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great! I have just been thinking about how to pare down my bookcase, but it seems so hard and where to begin does leave me confused. . . :-)

Unknown said...

Too close for comfort too close. And I too am confused.

revhipchick said...

oh wise woman, i hope one day to understand all that your words convey. they seem close to my heart albeit i'm not entirely sure why. you have perplexed me but i will continue to meditate on your blessed words.

Anonymous said...

Me dear,

I have sent this (with appropriate credit to YOU and a link, too!) to two different women since I read it. The wisdom of it keeps coming over me.

One of them was feeling guilty about giving up leadership of a church women's group after "only" two years. !!! and the other was feeling guilty about being sad and depresssed about her own serious medical condition, when her seriously ill mother has breast cancer. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked both of them to consider finding a better bookcase...maybe letting some of their sisters in Christ help them build a sturdier one? And take some of their books to a garage sale for them?

It goes on and on.

Anonymous said...

LOL...

Now you have inspired me...
:)
Deb