Friday, October 13, 2006

Cookies and a poem

Here are some comfort things that spilled over into today...

Grandma's Oatmeal Lace Cookies
Preheat oven to 350
1 cup sugar,1 cup quick oats,1 egg,1 stick butter, melted,1 tsp vanilla,1/2 tsp salt,1/4 tsp baking powder. (I think there's a bit of flour missing here...but its only like a tablespoons worth.)
Mix together. Drop dime sized balls onto foil-covered cookie sheet (Try the non-stick foil).
Bake for 6 minutes, til tan around the edges.
Cool on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes. (It pays to use two sheets and rotate them).
Pick up and eat! Should be nice and crispy. Makes 36 or so.

And a poem...
Briefly It Enters, and Briefly Speaks by Jane Kenyon
I am the blossom pressed in a book,found again after two hundred years. . . .
I am the maker, the lover, and the keeper. . . .
When the young girl who starves sits down to a table she will sit beside me. . . .
I am food on the prisoner's plate. . . .
I am water rushing to the wellhead, filling the pitcher until it spills. . . .
I am the patient gardener of the dry and weedy garden. . . .
I am the stone step,the latch, and the working hinge. . . .
I am the heart contracted by joy. . .the longest hair, whitebefore the rest. . . .
I am there in the basket of fruit presented to the widow. . . .
I am the musk rose opening unattended, the fern on the boggy summit. . . .
I am the one whose love overcomes you, already with youwhen you think to call my name. . . .

From The Boat of Quiet Hours by Jane Kenyon, published by Graywolf Press. © 1986
Found on http://www.poets.org/ An excellent website!

No comments: