Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Chess and

Tonight was chess club a la library. It became "fashionable" several years ago to have a library chess club and so we started it. The former children's librarian was a whiz at chess and built the program to full classes and long waiting lists. For the most part children play each other, and some of them are very good. Some of them have very involved chess-coach-type-parents (parents were banned two years ago). Some of the matches became heated (one bad word and you are out for the day). And then that librarian left and it became my program.

I don't know how to play chess.
It is times like these that you come to love your volunteers.

I had a teenage girl that I was terrified I would "burn-out" and never see again. And now I have another high school boy, a sophomore. The boys love him, the girls love her and everyone loves chess. It is a beautiful thing.

I don't have the turn-out the former librarian did, and I'm not sure why. OK, I don't know chess well, but I'm learning and I have competant help. Its on the same day and in the same place. But, on the other hand, I've had no discipline problems, no waiting lists and no headaches. I really enjoy it, where I know she dreaded it each week. And the kids are having a ball!

One of the regulars is a middle-schooler and I'm grooming him to be a future chess volunteer. He's serious about the game but also patient and good with the younger children. What potential! I mentioned it today and I could tell how pleased he was.

Over the years I've told some people that they would make great librarians. Someone who loves the library, loves people, books and making information connections, has creativity and a good head on their shoulders. I tell them that they should think about it- get a college degree and get your Masters in Library Science. Its not a glamorous job, I suppose, but its my vocation, my calling and I think that I can see some of the things that would make someone really right for this field.

I heard a radio* story this morning where in Connecticut there is a group that is trying to get kids interested in manufacturing, craftsmanship, a trade. So many kids are steered towards college these days that there's a dearth of skilled young people poised to take over in the sort of jobs we take for granted. And not everyone needs to go to college anyway (shout out to my favorite college drop-out massage therapist! Love ya!) Kids don't grow up with parents that taught them these sorts of things at home, and they certainly don't learn them at school. So, skilled craftsmen, machinists, plumbers, mechanics, automakers and such are telling kids how they enjoy their jobs, how they can make a life in this way. They are taking these kids under their wings.

Do you do this? Not necessarily "growing your own" but, do you know someone who would be great at _______________? Shouldn't you tell them? They might just be pleased that you think so much of them, but it might just plant a seed in their mind too.

*(radio story, Glenn Beck interviews John Ratsenberger)

No comments: