Friday, October 27, 2006

2 Count them! 2 Friday 5's..Whaa Ha Ha

1) Favorite Halloween Candy
Mike n'Ikes? Twix? Heck, I love candy!

2) Least Favorite Halloween Candy
Bit o'Honey, Pixie Stix, benne candy, ick!

3) Best Costume Ever
My best costume ever? I was the cheshire cat in a school play once and I wore that costume for Halloween. It was a fushia sweatsuit (with a hood)with blue electrical tape wrapped around it for stripes. Nice and toasty for a Chilly Northeast Halloween. I was so much more comfortable that all the fairys and princesses. I don't remember ever being a princess for Halloween, come to that.
Now that I am a grown-up librarian, I dress as the Cat in the Hat.

4) Worst Costume Ever
A Mime...so easy but it impedes my inate nature!

5) A Saint you treasure (please feel free to use the definition of "Saint" that is meaningful to you and to your faith tradition and life experience)

Well, I grew up Catholic and we take our saints very seriously, in fact there are 4 new saints this week! Now I am presbyterian and we are more informal about saints. It is summed up, I think in this wonderful song:

I sing a song of the saints of God, patient and brave and true,
who toiled and fought and lived and died for the Lord they loved and knew.
And one was a doctor, and one was a queen, and one was a shepherdess on the green;
they were all of them saints of God, and I mean, God helping, to be one too.

They loved their Lord so dear, so dear, and his love made them strong;
and they followed the right for Jesus' sake the whole of their good lives long.
And one was a soldier, and one was a priest, and one was slain by a fierce wild beast;
and there's not any reason, no, not the least, why I shouldn't be one too.

They lived not only in ages past,
There are hundreds of thousands still,
The world is bright with the joyous saints
Who love to do Jesus’ will.
You can meet them in school, or in lanes, or at sea,
In church, or in trains, or in shops, or at tea,
For the saints of God are just folk like me,
And I mean to be one too. Lesbia Scott (1898-1986)

There are a lot of saints in my life. I am greatful for all of them.

AND

1. Do you enjoy a good fright?
NO! BOO!

2. Scariest movie you've ever seen
Aliens...but I run as soon as someone says "horror film"

3. Bobbing for apples: choose one and discuss:
a) Nothing scary about that! Good wholesome fun.
b) Are you *kidding* me?!? The germs, the germs!
OK, this made me laugh, because I never thought about germs! Aren't germs afraid of the ice cold water? Nope, its good wholesome fun. Hubby is very good at it. He says the trick is to pick an apple and plunge your head in and chase it to the bottom for leverage. And boy, does he get wet!

4. Real-life phobia
Blood, but I'm getting better.

5. Favorite "ghost story"
I remember reading one as a teen about a woman and her baby who wandered into a village and quickly died of some disease. The villagers buried her in the local cemetary. The next night a ghostly woman was reported to have appeared in the market buying milk and then walked into the cemetary and disappeared. After appearing for three nights, the town's people dug up the strangers grave and found the baby, still alive, next to its mother and three bottles of milk.
Chills!

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I love the hymn "I sing a song of the saints of God. There is a wonderfully illustrated children's book of that hymn.

Anonymous said...

Such a delightfully creepy ghost story!! What's Flash going to be for Halloween this year? We'll see if I can get my Mary Poppins self together...