Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Adult Bible Study Causes Depression in NJ

We've been doing the Wired Word in our Adult Sunday School and folks, its been a rough few weeks (as if you didn't know). We've talked about school shootings, suicide, death, poverty. I know that its the way of the world. I know that this study is opening our eyes and hearts with life in the world and in the word, but

Its been really depressing. Each week a offer a prayer that next week we'll be able to talk about something upbeat. I'm not optimistic right now. See, it will arrive in my email tomorrow, and I'm thinking it will talk about North Korea, or maybe that congressman (who makes me so angry we'll just leave it at that).

So I went searching for happy news today. Hoping that I could find something we could use in class. Paris and Nicole are friends again. No. Madonna may have adopted a Malawian boy. No.
91 year-old Australian man finishes law degree? Yes! And I found it at www.happynews.com!

Now my problem is relating it to the Sunday school, Jesus and the bible. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

hip2b said...

OK I have several suggestions now! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Eli completely wasted his entire adulthood and didn't teach his sons. This would be an example of someone who didn't learn.

Simeon and Anna in Luke waited for the prophecy for the messiah and told they wouldn't die until they saw him.

Jesus as a youth teaching the elders in the church--can learn from all.

Unknown said...

It sure has been rough. I found that website too, and go read it when EVERYTHING gets heavy.

hip2b said...

Hooray! The folks at Wired Word heard our prayer and gave us a lesson on CEOs using the bible in management. That was much lighter!