Friday, August 18, 2006

Friday 5 - Oh those Brits!

OK, this is an odd one and I have to admit I was of two minds about even doing this one. But, here goes. These are actual phrases that one of the revgals heard while she was in the UK.
We are to use our imaginations to define them.

Adverse Camber- Orangy brownish color used only in newspaper circulars.
Butts Wynd - I think I'll skip this one. Use your imagination.
Plague Church - A place where you you can feel God's Pox (Pax)??
Free House-The house next to the plague church.
Mind the Gap - The space between the your lips and the words they just said, that you can't believe they said.

Alright, thats my take on it.

My Aunt Gwen came over from England one chilly Fall and my mother told her that if she got cold during the night there were extra comforters in the closet. Apparently she waited until we all went to bed to see what we meant, because comforters are pacifiers. She also caused a small ruckus when she wanted to smoke in Provincetown, MA.

Today is the last day of Summer Reading Program and Ordination exams are one week away.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

cute. I like the God's Pox(Pax)

Unknown said...

And I like the free house!

Unknown said...

You ask if anyone will give you the real answers so here goes.

Advese camber when the road slopes from the middle out to the side.

Butts Wynd - I can only assume is an old place name!

Plague church - not sure but possibly has a cemetary with a plague pit - a deep hole where victims of the plague were buried.

Free House - A pub not affiliated to any particular brewery so free to sell a wind range of beers.

Mind The Gap - A phrase put out on the Tannoy at underground train stations to warn passengers of the large gap between the train and the platform.

Not as funny as the made up ones but there you go!