Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Books (for grown-ups) on my desk

Father Joe: The Man that Saved My Soul - Hedra
This one is for Church Book Club this weekend. I've finished it and really enjoyed it until I poked around too much (librarian's habit) and discovered Hedra's daughter's biography wherein she says he molested her. Sigh. I don't even want to tell the Book Club.

The Good Good Pig: The extraordinary Life of Christopher Hogwood - Montgomery
Getting good buzz around Book Club circles, NPR and such. A naturalist writes about her pet pig, who came to her as a sick piglet and eventually reached 750 lbs. and some noteriety in her samll New Hampshire town.

Coraline - Gaiman
This is for the Parent/Child Book Club in October. Gaiman wrote American Gods (very, very good) and he also co-wrote Good Omens (very, very funny). Coraline moves to a new apartment and one of the doors opens into an apartment just like hers, with better parents, toys and food. And they want her to stay.

Simple Gifts: Great Hymns: One Man's Search for Grace - Henderson
This is my second time reading this book and I am considering recommending it for Church Book Club. Bill Henderson knows his hymns and relates them and their origins to facets of his life. He made me want to visit his church in Maine. Maybe someday.

Will the Circle be Unbroken? Reflections on Death Rebirth and Hunger for Faith - Terkel
I had to read a Studs Terkel collection of interviews while still in high school and it was transforming. Forget fiction, this is the real thing.

Folklore and Folklife - Dorson
I am interested in culture and folklore and someone suggested this older tome as a place to start. It looks weighty.

Mama Dip's Kitchen - Council
Excellent southern soul Cookbook from the restaurant in Chapel Hill, NC (The Southern part of Heaven- even says so on the town's sign)! I assume the restaurant is still there because of this cookbook. Its shameful how much I like to read cookbooks. And on the back there's this strange quote-
" Don't miss Mama Dip. She spreads joy around like pumpkin seeds." -Jessica B. Harris author of The Africa Cookbook Love that quote!

Great books! What will I actually read? Corduroy by Freeman to my Flash. Twice.

No comments: