Friday, August 11, 2006

Friday 5: Fruits of the Spirit

Its been a long hard week for me. Todays' Friday 5 from the revgals seemed very well chosen.
Love fruit, need spirit.

Galatians 5 describes the Fruit of the Spirit.
With all the sadness and despair out there, we certainly need it!
So, the Friday Five is simple.
Pick any five of the following attributes and go wherever the Spirit leads you... your choice! If you're feeling light-hearted--just assign a fruit to each one.

Love - Strawberries? They look a little like a heart (except for the seeds), are sweet and are often eaten in romance movies. I like them, but my hubby doesn't really care for fruit except for cantelope.

Joy - Watermelon! Such a large, happy fruit. We were at Grandma/Grandpas' earlier this year and a watermelon was resting on a chair in the dining room, waiting to be eaten after dinner. Flash, somehow, got it down onto the ground and tried to bite into it. But watermelons are tough.

Peace - Olives. This has been the toughest for me. I've been through all of the others and I'm still stuck on this one. So, olives. They are a fruit. Think of "extending the olive branch". They are also peaceful because I won't touch them. Yuck.

Patience - Coconut. I'm not sure that God intended us to eat these. In their original state, they are very hard to get open.

Kindness and Generosity - Pineapples. They are a symbol of hospitality in the South, but not really a part of the cooking. Isn't that odd? Pictures of them often appear on hotel stationery and such becauue pineapples convey this message somehow. I love them!

Faithfulness - Apples. They are pervasive, around at all times of the year ( here anyway). They are delicious whole, in pies, as applesauce. They have many sayings about them "apple of my eye", " an apple a day keeps the doctor away". They are referred to in the bible and in folklore. Do you remember twisting the stem of an apple while saying the alphabet? Whatever letter the stem twisted apart at, was the initial of your future love. I know so many of you are going to say self-control because of "the Fall" and, lest we forget, Snow White, but my reasons for apples stands true...He is everywhere and apples are everywhere.

Gentleness- Bananas. They are a baby's first food. (Try not to think of Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl song though, sigh.)

Self-control - Blueberries. I have NO self-control around blueberries. Do they ever get made into muffins or pies? No. Do they even accompany ice cream? No. Does my family know I usually buy two pints? No.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful