Monday, May 01, 2006

Gas prices vs. Milk

I need to fill my gas tank. But I'm procrastinating. I can't procrastinate too long for several good reasons:

1. I am only allowed to run out of gas once every eight years, I think...and I already did last month. And you think gas is expensive at the pump? Think about getting one gallon, delivered! It was about $30.
2. Maybe my husband will fill it. (unlikely)
3. Maybe the price will go down (very unlikely...for now)

Are you cutting back on the gas you use, because of the cost? I am trying to cut back on extra errand trips but I still have to drive to work. I'll still go 1 hour to visit my mom. We're planning to drive to GA this summer and MA too. And although its expensive, its kind of cheap too. Cheaper than flying, cheaper than renting a car when we get there. Its like milk.

Milk is about 3.50 a gallon and I buy two gallons a week. Gas is about 2.70 a gallon and I buy 10 gallons a month. Thats about $1.07 for milk and $0.87 for gas everyday. Makes you think doesn't it? Try it with fancy coffee places, Ice cream or Laundry detergent..things that are staples. Makes gas look like downright cheap. I know that it is a limited resource and that it may ruin our air...but thats not what people are talking about on the news, is it?

ps...Its about 2.90 now

No comments: