Thursday, July 17, 2008

Vacation all I ever wanted...

We're on our way today, after the funeral.

Hubby really needs this vacation but its looking iffy now. Last night he had a call from the son of a prominent member who will probably die this weekend. So we may go to the wedding this weekend (my cousin) and then he'll will have to fly back for the funeral and maybe join us again towards the end of the week.

I'm questioning this, but Hubby says theres only a few folks he'd come back from vacation for, and this is one of them. I think it sets a bad precedent, however noble.

Anyhow, we leave today!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, he'll have to fly back? Does the church expect him to pay for last minute plane tickets? That alone is a bad precedent, yet I understand his feeling that there are a few he for whom he would do this. I guess the question is, how does this make other people in the church feel? And what does this kind of precedent-setting say about making the family a priority, particularly when you have planned vacation time?
This is where we let our colleagues cover for us and trust that it will all sort out in the end, ideally. But it's tough to do that in the first call, where you are negotiating relationships and figuring out how to be the pastor for the first time (this is first call, right?).
I'm glad to hear about the new baby, even if he or she is shy on ultrasound!

Terri said...

I agree with Songbird. I have alwasy said that there are a few reasons why I may come back from a vacation for a funeral....a "significant" parishioner is one....and yet, what DOES that say about other parishioners?

SO, I usually say I am going where I won't have access to my cell phone or other phones or my computer...and trust that colleagues will handle the situation - and that the parish will understand that family is important too...sigh...have a good trip however it turns out...

revhipchick said...

i hope it went well and you enjoyed your vacation.

i'm finding out that this whole minstry thing is way more complex and complicated than i imagined! blessings.