Friday, June 27, 2008

Friday5: Summer Reading

This week, then, a Summer Reading Friday Five.

1) Do you think of summer as a particularly good season for reading? Why or why not?
Yes and no. How's that for a definitive answer?
I love to curl up under a blanket with a good book during the winter.
But its nice to have a relaxing book for the beach or vacation time.
I read quite a bit all year round but several of my authors tend to publish
before the summer rush. There are generally two big publishing seasons:
Spring...preparing for summer and Fall... preparing for Christmas rush.

2) Have you ever fallen asleep reading on the beach?
No. I don't really sleep on the beach.
Too much reading, collecting, swimming, castlebuilding and kid-chasing to do.
And I hate to get sand in a book.

3) Can you recall a favorite childhood book read in the summertime?
Hmmm. Well the Harry Potter books were mostly released in the summer.
Oh, my childhood? Can't remember.
I read all sorts of things as a kid and worked at the library throughout middle and high school, college, um grad school and now I'm a librarian so I guess "it took".

4) Do you have a favorite genre for light or relaxing reading?
Chicklit. No really...light romantic comedies,
perhaps with a mystery thrown in for good measure.
Also spy thrillers and some sci-fi.
I'm really picky about my sci-fi and fantasy these days.
Occasionally a biography, but not of anyone literary or political.

5) What is the next book on your reading list?
Well, I finished Stone Cold by Baldacci and Fearless Fourteen by Evanovich
and I have the Ezekiel Option out from the library.
Our whole county is reading Animal Vegetable Miracle by Kingsolver this year so I plan on that. I intend to read something by Amy Tan and a book of short stories
for the Adult Summer Reading Program at my library.
If you look back 2 posts you'll see how they do it there.

Happy Reading!
If you have a suggestion of something you think I should read,
leave a comment about it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We have really enjoyed the multigenerational Harry Potter summers at my house. I never had anything like that!

revhipchick said...

the adult summer reading program sounds terrific!

i too love to curl beneath the covers in winter and read a great book.

one of my favorite purely fun reads is War for the Oaks--it's sort of fantasy and reality mixing together. a very fun read. being a librarian i would imagine you're the one who could come up with a great reading suggestions!