Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday5 Cooking Tools

Please answer the following kitchen-related questions:
1) Do you have a food processor? Can you recommend it? Which is to say, do you actually use it?
I have a little red chopper and I use it whenever I chop onions and peppers
and have used it to puree things like soup and apple butter.
Also to pulverize crackers to make bread crumbs.
Probably I use it once a month or so.

2) And if so, do you use the fancy things on it? (Mine came with a mini-blender (used a lot and long ago broken) and these scary disks you used to julienne things (used once).)
I purposely got an easy one without all that stuff.
I used to use my blender for a lot of the stuff I use the chopper for.
Then the blender burned out.

3) Do you use a standing mixer? Or one of the hand-held varieties?(And isn't that color delightfully retro?)
No standing mixer.
I have a white hand-held mixer that seems to do the trick.
Don't use it that often.
A couple of years ago my mother burned her's out
while making mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving.
They smoked! It was very cool to all who witnessed it.

4) How about a blender? Do you have one? Use it much?
I burned it out.
I guess my family is hard on kitchen tools.
I am asking for a new one for Christmas though.
Mostly smoothies and milkshakes.

5) Finally, what old-fashioned, non-electric kitchen tool do you enjoy using the most?
Hmmm.
I have this cool circular thing that makes sandwiches into circles.
Flash likes that. Good for pastry also.
I have a whisk I like.
And our pizza cutter gets a lot of use.

Bonus: Is there a kitchen appliance or utensil you ONLY use at Thanksgiving
or some other holiday? If so, what is it?
I have a pizzelle iron that only comes out at this time of year.
Made some a week or so ago.
and the cookie cutters of course. No, thats wrong...we use them for playdough too.

I like to cook but don't really have time or energy.
My most used appliance is my crockpot
which will be in use tomorrow for some chili!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You *are* tough on the appliances!!