Friday, October 17, 2008

the flippin' friday 5

1) When was the last time you flipped a coin or even saw one flipped in person?
A football coin toss I guess. I haven't seen one in a NFL game, I never seem to see the beginnings of games... must have been a High School game. Our last home high school game is next Friday night and we'll probably lose.

2) Do you have any foreign coins in your house? If so, where are they from?
Yes! I used to collect foreign coins and had a whole box of them, mostly pocket change from anyone I knew who went anywhere. I have only been to Canada, myself. I still have a "representative sample".

3) A penny saved is a penny earned, they say. But let's get serious. Is there a special place in heaven for pennies, or do you think they'll find a special place in, well, the other place?
Um, pennies are wonderful, still coins of the realm, a distinctive color, good for game pieces, not so good for actually buying things. Also fantastic in songs and idioms...Pennies from Heaven and a penny for your thoughts.

4) How much did you get from the tooth fairy when you were a child? and if you have children of your own, do they get coins, or paper money? (I hear there may be some inflation.)
I think the tooth fairy gave half dollars at my house. The first time the tooth fairy visited me, she collected and delivered to the mailbox...I was creeped out by the idea of this creature coming into my room while I was asleep.
Flash is almost old enough for the tooth fairy, I guess. I hear the tooth fairy gives a dollar in our neighborhood.

5) Did anyone in your household collect the state quarters? And did anyone in your household manage to sustain the interest required to stick with it?
Hubby's mom drove everyone crazy with it, shopkeepers, relatives, everyone. I think she has a full set. I didn't bother...and I'm the coin collector in the family.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My oldest was obsessed with those video games at the movie theatre when he was little, so we gave him a dollar in quarters for each tooth. And over the next fifteen years, the rate did not increase for the other kids!

Mavis said...

Great idioms. Even when withdrawn from currency pennies will always be with us :-)

Terri said...

My husband and kids collected the special quarters for awhile...but not anymore....good play...are you feeling well?

hip2b said...

Feeling fine!