Tuesday, January 29, 2008

layers

There's a great line from Shrek about ogres having layers, like an onion.
Ever the optimist, Donkey says that "not everyone likes onions,
but parfaits have layers, and "Everybody loves parfaits".

Some talk about the facets of our lives. Facets as in cuts of a jewel.
But Layers are more humble.
Onions, parfaits, cakes,
even our earth is in layers.

The idea, not a new one, really is that we have depth.
Peel us back and you'll find something slightly different, more raw perhaps.
I don't know where this is going but I've been thinking, dreaming about layers
I'm not sure if I'm creating a fresh new layer to myself,
or peeling one back.

1 comment:

Terri said...

definitely layers of depth...not just layers, nor just depth...but both. It's what comes with age and experience...(and, if I do say so, parenting)...