Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Clash of the Choir ep 3

As I predicted Micheal Bolton's choir went home, sorta. So its down to Patti LaBelle, Nick Lachey and Blake Shelton. And they were all amazing. Really.

My voting is based on whose choir is used as a choir. Patti La Belle's choir is fantastic but they really overuse solos in my eyes. Nick Lachey's choir did an amazing a capella version of "Flight of the Bumblebee" of all things! Bobby McFerrin had a version of that once upon a time and it was mind-blowing, as a choir piece it was amazing and strange to watch. Still love Blake Shelton's choir, they did a fantastic version of "Joy to the World". Again, not so much solos, choir teamwork stuff.

The last song each choir performed was as backup to their choir director on one of their hit songs. Patti LaBelle seemed to channel James Brown with "Somewhere over the Rainbow", and kicked off her shoes at the end. This started a mass shoe-shucking throughout. Then Lachey did "What's Left of Me", not a favorite song, but they all sang well. Blake Shelton was probably not allowed to sing his new radio favorite "The More I Drink", so they sang "That can't be Good" which has a story to it about a late night party that gets out of hand. I'm not sure that translated into a choir song, but they all looked like they were having a ball.

Another enjoyable night. Tomorrow is the last night and they say there will be lots of surprises...I'm thinking that all of the charities get something in the end.

3 comments:

Terri said...

Ok, I watched it last night and enjoyed it. My daughter sang in her high school chorus for four years - and that chorus used solos all the time. Seems more familiar to me. Also my church use to do a choral version of the Gospel of John on Good Friday and that had several solo parts...and other churches I've worked for have used soloists....so, I'm not minding the solo's...I really like LaBell's choir.

I also loved Lachey's Flight of the Bumblebee. I think I just like him and the way he speaks about his high school.

Shelton seems to competitive to me...but the choir is good....so, um, we'll see what happens tonight.

Anonymous said...

Can you please post what songs the choirs (Patti's and Nick's) because I really like a few of them but do not remember the titles! Thanks!
A devoted fan!

hip2b said...

Anon:
They are all listed on the nbc.com webpage. The last episode was full of songs and I'm having a hard time remembering too.