Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Bible study question

Hubby had a bible study group the other night. They are thinking about what to study next year, as well as doing an advent study now. He asked the participants what their favorite book of the Bible was. I thought that a very funny question at the time. First of all, I'm not sure that average people have "favorite" books of the bible and secondly, how intimidating for those who are less...um...prepared.

I asked what the answers had been. Luke, Acts, anything but Revelation, and Hubby's answer - Leviticus. Also very funny. He didn't think my laughter very funny and asked what mine was. Ruth, I answered. Its only 4 chapters long and there's quite a good story there. Hubby started in on the significance of Ruth but, I continued thinking that several years ago I would have had no answer for a question like that. No idea what to say. And I'd have been very embarrassed about it.

So, What is your favorite book of the Bible...if the question doesn't stump you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, one favorite book of the Bible question...hm :) Well, I guess mine would be Romans or 1 and 2 Corinthians. I love Paul's letters.

If you want a neat tool to help with your Bible study, check out the new Bible Study Tools at Christianity.com

Bible Study Tools that I think you would enjoy. The reason I like it so much and want to share it with you is because I can read so many commentaries, 29 different translations/versions, lexicons, Greek and Hebrew, devotionals and more all for free. I could never afford these books nor would I have the time to search through all of them! I REALLY like that I can highlight text and save notes. The screen is split-panel so it lets you compare versions, commentaries, etc. which makes it extremely easy to use.

I hope you get a chance to check it out! It's been a blessing for me and I want to let others know that they can find tools to understand the Bible without having to go to seminary! I believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God and that it has the ability to enlighten and impart wisdom, but it helps to have resources that dig deeper into the meaning behind certain words, parables, etc.

Here's the link again: Bible Study Tools

Mary Beth said...

Psalms.

Terri said...

I'd say Ruth. Although I might also say Psalms...both excellent. And then I might also say John...and parts of Romans and Corinthians...or Genesis...

I guess, don't ask me if you want a difinitive answer about one book...

hee hee....but I agree, that is a scary question to ask anyone without an M.Div....

Tiria the Shadow Princess said...

I could be a smartie pants and say III Timothy where he writes to the women elders... but I won't.

To behave, I'll just say "Psalms".

:)
deb

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I had not thought about the question being intimidating before asking it. Instead, I was trying to come up with a simple icebreaker for the group at the last minute. Next time, I will think a little bit harder before using the first icebreaker that comes to mind.

Peace,

Hubby

Terri said...

hubby, donI hope you are not being too hard on yourself... It gets easier to figure out the ice-breaker questions...and really, nothing wrong with asking scary questions on occasion - who knows what might come up. It sure got us talking!