Friday, June 29, 2007

Friday5:Gifts and Talents

So with gifts and talents in mind here is todays Friday 5;

1. Personality tests; love them or hate them?
Love them, up to a point. Please don't ask me 3 million questions, and what does that say about my personality, really?

2. Would you describe yourself as practical, creative, intellectual or a mixture ?
Definately a mixture. I am very practical but I have a creative streak. I used to think I was intellectual...but I think I'm somewhat over that. I read alot, but I don't enjoy the more intellectual books, magazines and hate to talk politics (which seems to pass as intellectual conversation these days).

3. It is said that everyone has their 15 minutes of fame; have you had your yet?
If so what was it, if not dream away what would you like it to be?
No, sadly. Haven't even met any famous people.
What would I like it to be? Mom of the Year? How about one of those things where someone famous says "This woman turned me on to reading and changed my life!"
Or to be beloved by children for writing a fantastic book!

4. If you were given a 2 year sabatical ( oh the dream of it) to create something would it be music, literature, art.....something completely different...share your dream with us...
Um, write that fantastic book? Make my little animal sculptures? Learn to garden?
Take singing lessons and sing with a band, maybe?
Maybe I should take some time to discover a dream to share...

5. Describe a talent you would like to develop, but that seems completely beyond you.
I'd like to know how to read music. I have a good ear but no real understanding of the notation* I have no patience for "throwing pots" but like to make little clay animals in pottery class. Haven't taken a pottery class in 3-4 years. I'm waiting for the CPU head-jack to be perfected so I can know a language without having to learn it (a la Johnny Dangerous)

Bonus question: Back to the church- what does every member ministry mean to you? Is it truly possible to encourage/ implement?
This is not a term I'm familiar with but my guess would be that every member of a congregation has some sort of ministry that they share in. Is it like "priesthood of all believers?" Or is it like vocation.
I have a vocation, children's librarianship, and I have "jobs" at church, I teach sunday school, I'm in charge of making sure the nursery position is covered, I come to clean-up days and social events, I've even liturgized. There is a lot to do in a church, just like at home and in a family, and "many hands make light work".
It's easy to encourage. Implementation could be tricky but, its very, very hard to maintain it.

11 comments:

Barbara B. said...

I think it would be great to be an author of children's books!

Diane M. Roth said...

Yeah, I like the children's books thing... and throwing pots. My step-son is great at that. I'm (shall we say) clueless.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I too would like to read music. I have a very good ear, but all efforts to really read notation have been fruitless. I don't know why! How am I ever going to play the piano (one of my five) if I can't remember
Every
Good
Boy
Does
Fine
??

Terri said...

Well, for not being familiar with the term every member ministry (it's clergy code language, yeesh), you got it.

I used to throw pots, oh fun. But difficult to do well.

Good play, fun!

hip2b said...

Someone asked our Myers Briggs type-I'm E_FJ...never can remember if I'm S or N.

ellbee said...

ENFP
Every Nerd Finds Pencils :)

Great post... One of my childhood dream jobs was to be a librarian. Oh, to be surrounded by all those voices all day - books calling out to be read! Cool!

Oh - BTW - reading music is overrated... you find out exactly what parts of the songs you remember wrong! (wink)

hip2b said...

One of my church pet peeves is using new songs and then never hearing them again. And not reading music means I limp through a new song, finally get the hang of it by verse 3 and then we don't sing it until next year.
Thats all.

Gannet Girl said...

Oh, you have lots of talents! Very lucky.

Anonymous said...

There are talents that are useful in this life, and there are talents that we can expect to be useful in the heavenly kingdom. My talents are mostly about practicing law (which won't be needed in heaven), painting walls (which also won't be needed in heaven, on account of Jesus will make all things new) and sweeping up petrified canine refuse (which if all the dogs are outside of the heavenly city (see Rev. ch 22) won't be needed, either).
Kinda hard to warm up to the idea, y'know?

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

If we searched hard enough I bet we could find a personality test that correlates to an individual's "pottery style"... for instance I cannot throw on a sitting wheel but give me a standing one and I'm all in!?

revhipchick said...

great play!

i bet you have some fabulous children's books to write!

the children's part of the library is by far my favorite! i guess, i hope i never out grow it!