Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Start your engines!

Ladies and gentlemen...
we have a start date! October 24
and by extension a leave date for my job, right?
and an appointment with a realtor
who pretended that we'll be able to find and close on a house
in the time allotted.

Here's the question though...
should I leave the job before we visit/househunt for a week...
or should I try to keep my job until about a week before we go.
Part of the question is money but most of the question is about sanity!
People...what will I do for two weeks if I don't work?
Once I get there, I'll have plenty to do just getting us settled,
BUT
Part of me wants this endless commute thing to STOP.
I know I am the crankiest human being alive by the time Friday rolls around.
But the security of an extra paycheck
and unstructured time to worry and pace
makes me think that I should work as long as possible.

3 comments:

Terri said...

Work as long as you can and as long as it is feasible. BUT give yourself time to rest. Moving is hard. It's hard physically, emotionally, and psychologically. You will need time. But, you may not need the time on that end...you will surely need it on the other. As wife and mother. As wife of husband who is about to (nervously) begin his first call, you will need time to rest - 'cuz you will be giving out loads of caregiving.

Then, you will also need time for yourself. Time for something special - what ever that is for you - a massaage? a day off shopping and having lunch? a museum...what ever.

So. Since you will know no one in your new town... You will simply have to make a trip to Chicago. And, we'll play. A day for you...whenever you are ready for it. Let me know and I will give you my contact info and we can set up a grown up play date...

zorra said...

When do you need to start packing? Before we made a cross-country move, I found that was a full-time job, at least for a few weeks. Not much time to worry and pace when you're wrapping china and boxing up books. If you can afford to leave your job a couple of weeks before the move, I'd think about it.

hip2b said...

Packing is essentially done. Most of it is in a POD and the little bit leftover we could back into the car in a couple hours.

So, I'm thinking...
In two weeks we go to NewChurch for a week, then come back here for a week and then to GA for Hubby's ordination and new niece's baptism. That gets us to Oct 8.

I think I'll work the week in between IN and GA and then be done. That also gets me into October, so we can be confidant of our health insurance.
Thank you for your help!