Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A Quiet Walk

I had a wonderful walk today. It was beautiful, sunny, blue sky, light jacket weather. I set out at the behest of the dogs and kept going. I realized that I hadn't walked around the whole block since Simba's operation and since he seemed willing, we did.

My Epiphany Star
(prayer life/spirtitual direction watchword given each year on Epiphany at my church)
this year said Silence. I have been trying to make room for this in my life. I have a joyfully noisy life. I am so uncomfortable with silence that my first attempts to have a deliberate silent time were difficult. I started by turning off the radio in the car, only to find myself singing or talking to myself aloud. Sometimes praying too.
The trick is maintaining the quiet though...
an internal coversation versus talking to myself in the car.

My walk today was silent, prayerful and relaxing.
Not thinking, not worrying, not planning.
Relaxing.
Been a long time since I had that.

Someone has suggested the book
Prayerwalk: Becoming a Woman of Prayer, Strength & Discipline
by Janet Holm McHenry. I'll keep it in mind.

But for now I don't want to break the spell, with thinking too much.
Shhhhhhhh.

No comments: