Friday, February 23, 2007

Friday5: Companions along the way

Dante had Virgil as a guide. Betsy had Tacy.
Laura Ingalls depended on her brindle bulldog, Jack.
All of them were companions on the way.
As we take the beginning steps of our journey through Lent,
who would we take as a companion?

Name five people, real or imaginary,
you might like to have with you as guide or guardian or simply good friend.

1. Hubby -An excellent travel companion, if you can get him to go someplace. He'll drive most of the way, without complaint, doesn't mind stopping to see the sights, or get some munchies, but he does insist that the car be cold. I take a blanket with me on long trips. I'll include Flash here although he's not the best traveller, thank goodness I travel with a DVD player.

2. Simba - My dog companion. We have two dogs but Simba is friendlier with strangers and always willing to go for a car ride. He has a favorite place staked out in the minivan- last row, drivers side. Also he's up for a walk, at all times...although not very far since his operation.

3. Several people fall into the " I bet we'd have a great time on a road trip" category. Mostly they are friends from school. Ted, Morgans, my jetsetting/workaholic friend, Katy and several others -I 'll just give them all #3.

4. Then there's the mentor category: Elaine, Lois, Magda, Molly, Dr. G. These people are more like guides than traveling companions... The sort of people you call when planning your next move (esp. professionally). Not road-trippers.

5. But for Lent? I guess my fantastic Bible Study ladies, past, present and future.

3 comments:

Iris said...

Great list!

Unknown said...

I miss my Bible Study group from Small Church; there is nothing like those ties, is there?

Sally said...

Like your list- so many dogs travelling along!