Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Lent is coming...

It seems like we just had Advent
and Christmas ...and New Years...and Epiphany.
Is it really time for Lent? Already?

Ash Wednesday has never settled into my mind quite right.
We get ashes on our foreheads...
in my memory we kept them on until we washed up for bed,
but I don't usually get my ashes until Wednesday evening now.
Is it remembrance, atonement, symbolic?

Its the start of Lent,
a time of charity, prayers and "fasting"
commemorating Jesus' journey to the cross,
leading us up to Easter.
He is almost risen, indeed!

I am tempted this year to give up or take on
something significant and meaningful,
not knowing what that would be.
Does it matter ?
Jesus gave up everything, sacrificed everything
...so how does forsaking caffeine or chocolate help anything.
Is it just spiritual discipline?
or something more.

Does God care about this?

No comments: