Friday, March 02, 2007

Friday5: She's Crafty...and she's just my type.

"During Lent One of the Revgals' churches are exploring the creative and liturgical arts, with classes and speakers dealing with storytelling, iconography, dance, visual art, writing, and so on. The theme is "A Beautiful Thing," inspired by the story of the woman anointing Jesus and his declaration that "She has done a beautiful thing for me." (Mark 14, NIV)

We are working on the notion that everything we do can be considered a beautiful thing--a creative offering to God--whether it's gardening or scrapbooking or accounting or sorting clothes at the clothes closet or child-rearing. "

And so:1. Would you call yourself "creative"? Why or why not?
Yes. I have an artistic sensibility, I guess. I like to draw, and do so for work almost weekly. My knitting is not very artistic yet, but I took a clay class several years ago and made some very nice statues or figurines. These "run towards cartoonish" said my college art prof (B-). My whole family makes up wacky songs...Hubby especially. I've written some poems, things that are short and upbeat.

2. Share a creative or artistic pursuit you currently do that you'd like to develop further.
I'd like my knitting to get better overnight without me having to actually learn.
I'd like to enjoy it more too.
I'd love to try painting but its the sort of thing you have to take a class in,
because I consider painting to messy for my own home
...those who've seen my home are giggling.
Love to do another clay class, where the teacher would just let me make my funny animals.
I think there's a children's book in me, but frankly most children's librarians think that.

3. Share a creative or artistic pursuit you have never done but would like to try.
Community theater, dance, painting, tai chi...the list goes on and on.
Maybe in our next locale.

4. Complete this sentence: "I am in awe of people who can _____________."
Find the time to do creative things while working and taking care of home and family, not to mention the spare moola to pursue their hobbies. And do them well. And sell them at street fairs. I love street fairs, don't you?

5. Share about a person who has encouraged your creativity,
who has "called you to your best self." (I'm pretty sure that's from the Gospel of Oprah.)
Hubby and Flash who think everything I do, creatively, is good.
My current boss who keeps asking me to draw things.

Bonus:
I am currently wearing a Cat in the Hat hat and eyeliner whiskers for Dr. Seuss' birthday.
We had quite a party here at the library.
Pin the bow tie on the Cat, Fishing for Red Fish/Blue Fish,
Horton Hatches the Egg on a Spoon race,
bean bag toss into a Cat in the Hat hat,
coloring a Seuss hat.
Then a reading of the book and cupcakes!
A great, creative program.

6 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I bet you look adorable!!

And I have learned that it is important to MAKE the time. Crafting is sometimes what keeps me sane.

chartreuseova said...

It's Dr. Suess' birthday? I didn't realize.

Off to find my copy of Green Eggs and Ham for an impromptu celebration.

Unknown said...

I remember dressing up in a whole Cat in the Hat suit! I was just a little big pregnant with Snowman, so that must have been, ack! 17 years ago! Yes, I worked in the Children's Department at the library.

revhipchick said...

thanks for making me smile and hear the beastie boys as soon as i read your title!

wonderful play!

i can hardly believe that i missed out on it being dr. seuss's b-day! yikes!

Melissa said...

Haha...I love your #4! So true....

Sr. Heather said...

That is VERY creative! Excellent play. I find that I have to be intentional about creating - and especially about having FUN. Life stinks if we don't schedule in any creativity or fun.

The Dr. Seuss party sounds awesome. I used to make green eggs for my kids when they were little - it just takes a couple drops of blue or greed food coloring in the eggs while you're scrambling them. I never tried for green ham, but I figured that "Green Eggs and Ham" is sufficiently vague that just the eggs would suffice. :-)