Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Oh, Hymns!

Oh did we sing this morning! There is something about a hymn, isn't there? Choir is nice, but everyone singing a hymn they know together is glorious! Chapel at a seminary is an extraordinary thing. I attended today, the first day of class of our final year. It was packed! Amen! And the singing just gave me chills...and I sang all day in my heart.

May I recommend a book, twice? My church book club is reading Simple Gifts: Great Hymns: One Man's Search for Grace by Bill Henderson. The man understands hymns! Brought up in the church, he left and came back...because of the hymns. He discusses the history of the hymn, the meanings in it, and why he loves it so, why it spoke to him and when. You may not agree with his gruff opposition to certain songs, but you may understand how God speaks to many through the ones Bill Henderson chooses. Here is a partial list:
Simple Gifts
He Lives
Amazing Grace
In the Garden
Be Thou My Vision
How Great Thou Art
Just As I Am
Make Me a Channel of your Peace
There is a Balm in Gilead
Old Rugged Cross
Abide With Me
Be Still My Soul
His Eye is on the Sparrow

How many of you are humming? Which one?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love hymns. Some of them get stuck in my mind and I can't let them go. I do not know "His eye is on the Sparrow"

One of my many favorites is "Praise my Soul, the King of Heaven"

chartreuseova said...

Just As I Am.

Had to leave and look up all the lyrics. It's been so long since I've sang it or even heard it.

"imagine the darkness in love with the light." said...

tis a gift to be simple tis a gift to be free... saw the title to the book and it went. i love that hymn. will always love it. thanks for reminding me.