Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Laundry Day

Mt. Washmore. I just don't know how I got so far behind. So I spent Monday at the Laundromat and TWO rolls of quarters. My building has a washer and dryer but I'd have to monopolize them for a week to ever finish. But at the Laundromat, I can finish everything in one afternoon. I do this about once a season and I've gotten to be friends with the owner, Rick, although he's sold the place and only works there now. The new owner changed the name and makes him wear a t-shirt with the logo on it but...no more ownership headaches!

I can get all of my laundry done at once. I can take over 6 washers if I want. And its somewhat relaxing (don't tell hubby). They have a sitting area, theres a nice little pizza shop next door. I always have a book or paperwork or something with me to do. Theres a vast cross-section of people to watch or talk to, and in desperation there is horrible daytime TV on in the back...I almost never have to succumb to it.

And it smells so nice in there...maybe its almost like aromatherapy, and productive too!

2 comments:

Rainbow Pastor said...

Laudramats are actually good places to take a break. I remember when I was first married, we'd go over there on a Sunday afternoon, do laundry and read the big Sunday paper from the nearby big city.

Even a couple of years ago when I was temporarily without a washer, it gave me a good excuse to just sit and catch up on my reading, paperwork, and magazines (like The New Yorker, Songbird).

Yes, I miss it sometimes. Maybe we need enforced relaxation.

You're right--aromatherapy and clean laundry at the end. Laundromats can be Good Places.

Anonymous said...

when we were at the sem. laundry night was like family night out. if you washed at "our" laundromat, dryers were free, so once the laundry (yes, at least six washers) were loaded up, we split the rest of the quarters and played pinball and ms. pacman. it was great getting all that laundry done in 2-3 hours. : )

btw - i am a librarian and a pastor's wife too