Friday, December 22, 2006

Friday Festive Food5!

We must acknowledge that quintessential holiday topic... fooooooooood. Thanks revgals!

1. Favorite cookie/candy/baked good without which, it's just not Christmas.
Candy Cane Coffee Cake...its a family tradition. Its just shaped like a candy cane. I go cheap and easy on it these days, using refridgerator dough, but that doesn't matter so much to my crowd.
Especially because it is served during present opening.

2. Do you do a fancy dinner on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, both, or neither? (Optional: with whom will you gather around the table this year?)
Big dinner, not formal on Christmas evening with Hubby's family. As a child, Christmas dinner was at my Dad's place and he usually grilled a turkey (like at Thanksgiving).
Yes, even in the snow.
Heck, especially in the snow!

3. Evaluate one or more of the holiday beverage trifecta: hot chocolate, wassail, egg nog.
I love cocoa any time of the year, hot spiced cider in Fall and Winter, tea also...but no wassail. I'm the only one who likes 'nog (un-doctored) and one cup is plenty for a whole year!

4. Candy canes: do you like all the new-fangled flavors or are you a peppermint purist?
Peppermint purist! Oh, and red and white please!

5. Have you ever actually had figgy pudding? And is it really so good that people will refuse to leave until they are served it?
I have had Fig and Plum pudding, the secret is hard sauce (butter and powder sugar and a dash of um, brandy I think...often I use vanilla). I have to eat this with my 'nog...alone.

BONUS: The crown prince of holiday foods--the fruitcake. Feel free to add your thoughts on this most polarizing holiday confection.
I am one of the growing population that believes there are only 2 fruitcakes in the world and that they are just passed around...just kidding! Actually, I've had good and bad. We used to live near Claxton, GA...the home of the fruitcake. And Nanny, who passed away this year made an excellent fruitcake.
But, some fruitcakes need to sit in alcohol a while
and then be set on fire
and used as a candle!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well now, I thought Corsicana, TX was home of the fruitcake, see my response...

I'm soooo disillusioned.

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to you.
Thank you for your wonderful posts and comments.
(0)