Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Reputation of BLOGS

Funny that my Dad should come up again, but he does. I mentioned to him that I had a blog and that he could look at it if he wanted, no pressure. He said "Really? A blog? Well you know, we don't really see eye to eye on politics." OK, thats true, but I don't write about my politics here, at least not often. But say the word blog or blogger and everyone thinks politics! Not here! This is my online journal, a diary , frankly, a conceit!

Its been a couple of days since I wrote so I have two books to talk about. The first is Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. Originally written in 1917 and recently republished, it is the story of Elizabeth who moves to relative's farm in Vermont when her overprotective aunts are taken ill. As she accomplishes more tasks for herself she gains confidence in her own abilities and becomes more independant. The author was a great friend of Maria Montessori and encorporated her methods of teaching (guidance over instruction) into the story.
The second book is I, Jack by Patricia Finney. The story is written from the point of view of the family dog, Jack. What a riot! I laughed aloud when he talked about the family's morning greeting to him -"Get off you stupid dog". I had a mind today to make this whole blog a tribute to my two mutts, Simba and Max, and write from their point of view. Perhaps another day.

No comments: