Tuesday, February 12, 2008

sub sub sub sub

Its funny being a substitute teacher.

I've done fifth grade, third grade, HS art and In-School-Suspension so far. I thought it was funny when some of the fifth graders were taller than I am, but all of the high schoolers are.

I was a good kid and never got into much trouble so I had a stereotype in my head about in-school-suspension (ISS). But things went just fine, although it was boring. I guess thats the punishment, boredom, removal from the high school society stuff and incarceration in a drab drab room with blank walls. I found myself wondering what the punishment would be for decorating the ISS room. Probably more time there. It needs a fantastic painting that one can stare at and find different things to think about. Maybe a fish tank.

I also thought that there was a time in my school life that ISS would have been just what I needed. Enforced quiet time. Removal from the high school rat race. Stay in one quiet room all day...do your homework, read, write and think. And being their "proctor" meant the same for me. I wrote pages and pages today. I organized. I thought about things that needed to be thought about. Maybe a little prayer, mostly for this kid who has two more days in ISS.
And really its not so bad, except for the stigma and the decor.

2 comments:

Terri said...

I've tagged you for a book meme over at my blog...come play!

Terri said...

Hey, yeah, he needs to read the rule book for clergy - no meetings on Valentines Day or the spouses birthday! :-)

I actually did reschedule our meeting that was supposed to happen tonight - moved it to last Sunday after church...

I'll stop by later (I hope) to see your play...