Monday, January 22, 2007

epiphany stars

Each year on Epiphany we receive a star with a word on it at church,
to use in our spiritual devotion time. Each year it has been a wonderful thing, a word I needed to hear, and see taped to my mirror
or floating in my purse, tucked into my bible.
Last year, it was Direction.
Very purposeful, things to think about.

This year its Silence.

Those of you who've met me will know
that Silence is a tall order for me.
My life doesn't have much which is fine by me,
because I don't need much.
But I am beginning to understand
that Silence may be an essential something missing from my life.
I'm giving it a try.

So, when? You may think this odd but,
I've tried turning off the radio in my car, just as a starting point.
At first I had a hard time with this, I have a 25 minute commute and although I often find the radio inane,
listening to...nothing...is uncomfortable.

Does this sound bizarre to you? You think I'm crazy, right?
Do you like the quiet? I'm going to try to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a terrific idea--the epiphany star, very very cool.

no. you're not weird--not any weirder than most of us in our society.

it's a rare public place without a tv blaring something at you...the dr's office, airport, bar, even our grocery store has them in the isles!

silence can be both scary and liberating. good for you in embracing it. sometimes it feels wonderful and others just too empty to deal with.

good luck, you might just end up liking it afterall, even if just in small doses.

chartreuseova said...

I find silence (or as close as you can get these days) often uncomfortable. But I guess it's because my body has gotten so used to sensory overload that it considers noise the norm.

But whenever I press past through that discomfort, it is so refreshing.