Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Children's book Awards












You may have already seen the winners.
If not check the American Library Association's webpage www.ala.org/alsc

I am reading (right now) The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron,
which won the Newbery Award. I saw a galley copy of it a while back
and frankly didn't register with me. Such is the power of the Newbery award.
So I am reading it. No, Edward Tulane did not win, whew!
Alabama Moon didn't get anything either...but such is life.

The Caldecott Award went to David Wiesner for Flotsam
which is so beautiful and intricate, it makes you want to dive into the pictures.
You don't have to read it, its wordless, but you really should take a
glance at it next time you are in the book store.

The Sibert Award, for Children's non-fiction went to
Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon
by Catherine Timmesh.
I was watching this one fairly closely, since I was on the Sibert Committee last year
and Juvenile Non-Fiction is one of my assigned collections.
I really enjoy it too.
What a fantastic choice! Science, social Science, teamwork, the photos!

Excellent job Award committees! You should be very proud of yourselves!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

one of the aunts gave the girls Flotsam for xmas. it is wonderful!

i love the books you don't have to read. another favorite of ours is Harry and the Singing Fish. the pictures are not similiar at all but it was so much fun "reading" to the girls and hearing them "read" it to us.

thanks for the heads up on the other books!