Saturday, November 25, 2006

Black Friday5

The Revgals' meme is about Black Friday. This is the day after Thanksgiving when shopping establishments go from the "red" (unprofitable) to "black" (profitable). Stores offer crazy deals and open very early (most 6, some 3!!!). So this is a "Black Friday" Five in honor of the busiest shopping day of the year:

1. Have you ever stood in line for something--tickets, electronics, Tickle Me Elmo?
Never have for a product, but...I camped out for UNC vs. Duke tickets with thousands of other students while I was there! Not sure I'd do it for a doll or electronic thing-a-ma-hooey.

2. Do you enjoy shopping as a recreational activity?
Well, browsing really but sometimes and in the right store. Hallmark, for instance. Or Avenue.

3. Your favorite place to browse without necessarily buying anything.
Oops, answered above!

4. Gift cards: handy gifts for the loved one who has everything, or cold impersonal symbol of all that is wrong in our culture?
Totally overused, but useful in some situations.
I tend to get bookstore cards which is great for me. Since I'm a librarian, everyone knows I love books, but also that I read too much and I won't buy books un-prompted. Movie Theater gift cards are fantastic, cuz its like a date! An i-tunes gift card last Christmas filled up my little shuffle with songs I wouldn't have gotten if it was "my money" and probably kept me from copyright infringement! I rarely give them myself.

5. Discuss the spiritual and theological issues inherent in people coming to blows over a Playstation 3.
Ummm Cain and Abel? Jealousy? People budging in line? Insane shopping advertisements?
I don't know! I hope its just people who are overwrought by the the stress of the holidays, not actual character traits. Speaking of which, I'm teaching Unplug The Christmas Machine for the next 4 Sundays during Church School. More on that on Monday.

When we have Thanksgiving with Hubby's folks, his Mom, sister and I do the whole Black Friday thing. Nowadays though, they are busy at their own store up in Northern GA. Its a whole different side of Black Friday!

We had Thanksgiving with my mom this year (most years actually) and the next day we went and chopped down our Christmas tree with my stepsisters and their families (their tradition). So, I only bought a Christmas tree and some cocoa out at the farm. Flash had a ball (TRACTORS!) but he doesn't quite get the Christmas tree thing. We asked him what we'll do with the tree..."Take it home and play with it!"
Half right!

2 comments:

LutheranChik said...

Happy Delurking Week! (o)

Girl said...

delurking :)