Friday, March 31, 2006

Why the New Name?

The new name reflects a new vocation. Well, its not very new I guess, my husband is in his second year of seminary. Being a pastor's wife is a calling, yes. But...its sort of a reluctant one. I grew up Catholic...you certainly don't expect to become a pastor's wife. When I met my husband, we were in college and although he was somewhat active in church, I wasn't and hadn't been for a long time. We got married in a church...but we didn't attend regularly.
Several catastrophes led us back into the fold and then suddenly we were regulars!
And elders! And in the Presbyterian Women! And then going to seminary, 700 miles away. And my whole world has changed.
Now don't misunderstand, I love my husband and I believe in God and support his church...but deep down I don't see myself as a pastor's wife. As if the librarian stereotype wasn't enough! I'm not pious or reserved. Half the time, I'm afraid I'll say the wrong thing. The other half... And yet in other parts of my life I am confident, smart, funny and articulate.
So, Hipastorzwife is all about coming to terms with this calling and bringing what I am and what I am not to the job. And as Huey Lewis sang "Its hip to be square!"

1 comment:

revhipchick said...

i think we need more "real" pastors, wives or husbands. i don't think it's entirely fair to the pastor's family, nor the congregation to have an unrealistic image or expectations. we are human too!